Sunday, August 8, 2010

Shepherds Field

So I may be guilty of jumping the gun of my Jordan posts. I realized that I forgot to blog about a few things Pre-Jordan, so here comes my catch-up...


The week before we went to Jordan our class went out to shepherds field, a huge field overlooking the entire city of Bethlehem, and had a live nativity program.
It brought back so many memories of Christmas Eve every year-
Grandpa determined to play the role of the donkey, Dad organizing all the kids behind the scenes, Rob reading the part of Samuel the Lamanite with his usual gusto, and me playing the role of a shepherd or a wiseman (sadly I was fired from my annual part of the angel about ten years ago when I outgrew the costume, which really is a shame because I loved dancing around in that dress. I mean it had gold sparkles, loads of tulle, and a giant bow!) 

I must say though that this nativity program may have topped them all-even the ones when I still fit into the sparkly angel costume.

We played all the usual parts

Mary and Joseph

the shepherds-the Emmett kids made fantastic sheep

The Wise Men-they forgot to bring any gifts to the program, so my gold bangles saved the day and made a great substitute haha
our chorus of angels, but for some reason I don't think the original choir wore aviators 



It was amazing to imagine what it must have been like to be on that field about 2000 years ago on the night when the Savior was born-to see the star appear in the sky, to listen to the chorus of angels sing, and to go up into the city of Bethlehem to find the newborn child. 
We sang all the Christmas hymns, had some beautiful musical numbers, and an incredible lesson from Brother Brown. The spirit was so strong and the whole experience is something that I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment